Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Fence Post Snow Men

So this one is actually of my own creation! My mom has a scarecrow and a witch that are adorable, so I wanted to make something for winter. Easy Peasy…
IMG_4568I bought a fence post from Home Depot..not the normal ones that are like, 4x4, but the ones outside that are not exactly square, and they are a bit more rough. They are only about $4 instead of $8 like the 4x4’s.

I had them cut it for me (so I could fit it in my little car). I think I had them cut it to 1 @ 4 foot and 2 @ 3 foot. When I got home I sanded the boards down with my palm sander and painted them..white!

IMG_4556

I had some felt on hand, just enough black actually. I put a piece of square over the top,






IMG_4557



Then wrapped another piece around for the top of the hat.


For the brim, I ended up just folding a piece and rolling it basically. Using hot glue I glued it all down. I did do the two brims slightly different though!

IMG_4560IMG_4562

I had another piece of scrap IMG_4567wood on hand that I painted and used as my base, so they won’t fall over. I just tipped them upside down and put a few screws in the bottom of each (the short one first). Long screws so they will be sturdy enough to hold up the weight.

I had the buttons and googly eyes on hand as well. So out of pocket this project really only cost me the $4, well $2 if you count a bottle of paint. I do want to cut some wooden noses out, probably later this week when it warms up outside and paint them, so as of now, the noses are temporary, and I do have some fleece I want to use for the scarves instead, but it’s hiding in my kids room, and they are sleeping! Other than that, I love the way they look on my front porch!


Thanks for stopping by!

Ashlee

Linked up at:

mmm buttonThe Girl Creative

6 comments:

Katherine said...

Super cute snowmen! Great idea to use fencepost! Thanks so much for linking up!

Cydney Jensen said...

Love them and I am so jealous! If I hadn't sworn off crafts for a few weeks I would totally be making these!

LocalFunForKids said...

I love this! I need to put this on my craft-to-do list. You should come link up at Fun for Kids Friday @ www.LocalFunforKids.com

Anonymous said...

Awesome style. I wish I could write that way.

Ashlee said...

all thanks to Windows Live Writer! ;)

Anonymous said...

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!