Saturday, January 22, 2011

Bento Boxes

I’ve recently discovered Bento Boxes.

Basically, it’s like an... organized lunch, I guess.

But looking at a few blogs, and creating some of my own, they are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much fun! Makes eating more fun for the kids, and they make food look more appetizing. My son even ate some things in his lunch the other day that he wouldn’t normally!!

First though, let me share these fun little things! They are Tapioca Balls. Cooked up like noodles, here we drank them in some Almond Milk. Fun and colorful. In the mall they have these fun things in some smoothie drinks, where they tasted better, but they weren’t bad, if you like tapioca! Have you ever had them? What did you think??

IMG_4487

IMG_4486

(They actually look more fun than the taste.)

Okay so, like I was saying before, I’m on a Bento kick right now and have been having so much fun! I hope I keep this up as my kids get into school..if I can figure out what to put in the boxes, maybe get some stuff pre-made so I’m not scrambling at the last minute, that will be good! But they are having a BLAST eating them! It’s a new level of “playing with your food” I guess… is that a good thing?!!

It is said, that usually a Bento Box “is a compact, balanced, visually appealing meal packed in a box.” and generally consists of: “3 parts carbs, 1 part protein and 2 parts fruits and vegetables, without candy, junk food or oily foods. Packed this way without gaps” so you use “fillers” to fill any empty spaces. (grape tomatoes, grapes, olives, etc..) It also helps the “go green” idea, as Bento Boxes are not suppose to have anything that is for throwing away. All little containers and such that are washable and reusable. ...I cheated, but will get better as get more into this!

I have a lot to learn, but I am excited about this new concept! Here are a few we had this week…

IMG_4540

Sandwich ~cut to look like snowmen and snowflakes for all the snow we’ve gotten this week :). Cheese cubes, peas and applesauce. w/a little jell-o cup

IMG_4542

Pizza bites w/pizza sauce for dipping, peas, an orange and blueberries.

One for the BIG boy in our family (~aka. husband)

IMG_4543

Banana and blueberries, Salad (flower shaped cucumbers and carrots) w/Ranch Dressing, Pizza bites (homemade) w/pizza sauce for dipping. (Pizza bites have a slice of pepperoni, mozzarella cheese and a green pepper in them)

IMG_4476

Meatballs (last weeks recipe), carrots w/ranch, cottage cheese, pickle. lettuce

IMG_4526

Chinese Soup (recipe to come), Cream Cheese Won Tons, pear, peas.

IMG_4501

Mac n’ cheese, Octodog (“look mom, the octopus is swimming!”), asparagus, olives and applesauce

IMG_4518

Ham and cheese tortilla rolls, applesauce, pears, salad and broccoli

A FUNNY~

Her look was like~ {um…mom, what am I suppose to do with this??}

IMG_4503 IMG_4506IMG_4509IMG_4508

{Oops..um, yes, my kids are still in their pj’s at lunch time.. it’s cold outside and it has made me lazy..they were just going to go back to bed for a nap anyway! ;) }

I found these little spoons and forks at US Toys. They are PERFECT toddler size and made of stainless steel, so they are dishwasher safe. I LOVE them for my kiddos because they actually pick up the food, and fit in their little hands and mouths!

IMG_4520

IMG_4524

Bento Blogs I have found:

www.lunchinabox.net

www.bentobloggy.blogspot.com

http://tinybento.blogspot.com

~tiny bento has a slew of other blogs on her site to link to

**I found that Ikea also has the small stainless steel utensils, but as far as I can tell, you cannot order them online from either place. :(

No comments: